Why Internet of Things?
IoT comes into picture in hotels because the guest wants to interact with its hotel world in the same way it interacts with the world at home.
Stats on Internet of Things
Barry Greenstein of Greenstein Holdings LLC noted that a forecasted 30 billion devices would be connected to the Internet by 2020, contributing to a 160-zegabyte datasphere by 2025.
Scope of Internet of Things
IoT is changing the way products and services deliver value and in imminent future it will also redefine guest experience by rendering hyper-personalized recommendations and solving real-time queries of the guests. Starwood Hotels & Resorts utilized a technique called “daylight harvesting” to save energy and increase indoor lighting consistency by automatically adjusting the energy-efficient LED lighting based on the natural light detected coming into the room.
IoT assists you to:
- Boost productivity: One of the most important business trends nowadays is automation. From solopreneurs to multinational corporations, businesses are taking advantage of this to save the only resource that cannot be recovered: time. The quote “time is money” is well-known, and now is more relevant than ever. So if you help your employees to save time in tasks that can be automated, this will not only increase productivity, but also motivation.
- Information about customers’ habits and behavior: This is especially valuable for B2C companies (like retail stores or online shops), IoT offers information about the customers that wasn’t available before: Routines, preferences, shopper and consumer patterns, and more. Even if your company is B2B, serving other businesses, the inclusion of IoT in your working processes allows you to know your customers more and anticipate to their needs, providing products and services that respond to their particular situations. This is marketing automation. In other words, with IoT, data compilation and analysis is crucial. Analytics not only allow you to know more about how customers use and interact with technology, but also boost the creation of new business models.
- Process optimization: Processes like operation management, supply chain optimization, equipment maintenance will be done more efficiently and with less complications using this type of technology. IoT is a great resource to integrate your ERP and CRM to the Internet. If you integrate ERP and CRM, it will be easier and faster to send quotes, manage inventory, control paid and unpaid invoices, among other key business management operations. That way, your staff can focus on what matters the most to grow your business: Acquiring more customers and keeping the current customers happy. Thanks to IoT, a hotel can easily check on the existing sensor-data to reckon what are the hazardous or risky trends and can notify the suitable maintenance personnel before the issue escalates.
- Increased connectivity and engagement between the hotel & guest: With IoT you can provide better connectivity to the guests with your amenities in the hotel. With tech like, VR the guest won’t have to leave their hotel room and they can know each and every information with minuscule details involved. Also, IoT can send custom-tailored recommendations to the guests as per their interest, for example updated news of any nearby beach, a cafe or any tourist sightseeing place.IoT can improve the existing in-room entertainment by providing better connectivity with the surroundings and delivering proper information as per the guests’ requirement. With IoT. the location-based suggestions and interactions are now going digital, making it easier to deliver more valuable information to more guests than ever before.
- Track both on the quality and the viability of things at hotel: The computers keep a track both on the quality and the viability of things at home. Knowing the expiration date of products before one consumes them improves safety and quality of life. Also, you will never run out of anything when you need it at the last moment. IoT can help you in providing proactive maintenance and location-based interactions to improve your existing customer experience.
- Staffless hotels: Save money and boost revenue by cutting out all the intermediaries in your hotel. When the hospitality industry more closely embraces IoT, hotels can improve the guest experience and lower costs, and when done right, they can avoid interfering negatively in a guest’s stay. Also, they can employ the human-staff for better customer engagement whenever required.
- Inventory tracking and management: Next up, IoT will likely revolutionize how hotels track and manage their inventory. Also, if you’re a business that relies on warehousing, manufacturing, or storage, you probably use remote scanners and similarly high-tech devices to help your workers keep track of inventory item by item. In the near future, smart devices should be able to keep tabs on inventory changes completely automatically, freeing up your workers for more important, cognitively demanding tasks. It’s not just about the “smart home” anymore—it’s also about the “smart office” and “smart warehouse.”
- Better speed and accessibility of data in the hotel: Since consumers will have access to new forms of research and purchasing, the buying cycle will likely diminish in length. Consumers will, with a handful of spoken phrases, be able to find and order exactly the product or service they’re looking for, and they’ll demand delivery sooner(since all our technological advances tend to emphasize instant gratification).
- Marketing automation: Mobile customer engagement, geolocation, Apple’s iBeacon, etc. are all creating a network of knowledge about customers’ locations, intentions, preferences, and buying patterns. Of course, this degree of location-based knowledge needs to strike the right balance between user privacy and the timely delivery of useful products and services to that user.
So, now you know what you have to do! Trilyo thrives to redefine your customer experience by rendering the best guest engagement solutions and by improving your already set norms of brand relevance. Go for a free trial to explore the magic of Internet of Things in your business and know how can it make your guests ‘HAPPIER’.